Monday, April 10, 2006

Domingo de Ramos

Today was dedicated to Achao and the island it is on. (See map here)
After having breakfast with two nice australians and a swiss, I boarded one of the many charming small buses that provide rural transportation. The bus crossed over to the island and soon I was strolling through Achao. It was quite dead, apart from the Palm Sunday mass that was being held in the church. I continued strolling around, hoping to find something more and came upon a sign that indicated "Outlook this way", and off I went. I had been walking for quite a while when I asked a fellow wanderer if it was much left. "Some 7 kms" he replied. "But I´m being picked up soon, you can ride with us. I´m going to a meeting with the Algea-collectors union. I´m the president." He said he had quite a hang-over from partying last night, but had come up with the perfect excuse. He was going to say that he´d been at a baptism.
Sounded pretty good to me, and soon we were speeding ahead in the truck of his friend. They talked about all sorts of things, but mostly about how brilliant the excuse was. My friend said that the outlook was some two kms further away from the place of their meeting, but they would take me there anyway. "We´ve got time" he assured. "After all, you´re the president", said the other.
We arrived and the view was very impressive. Before me a multitude of islands vanished in shades of blue. A good place to have a picnic. Soon the good persons who had brought me there drove off, and I was left to enjoy the tranquility. Between the islands you could glimpse the infinite horizon of the Interior Sea and above it, just barely visible, the rugged silhouette of the Andes. In the air around me I could see and hear several birds of prey. They sure knew how to take advantage of the upstream winds from the sea.

I had gathered my things and taken a few steps down the hill when I noticed something in the corner of my eye. It was one of the birds, a sparrowhawk if I´m not mistaken, sitting on a pole some ten meters from my position. It seemed indifferent to my presence. I brought out the camera as quickly as I could. Changed the lens holding my breath. Aimed. Before I snapped the picture, I hesitated a second or two. It was the most beautiful thing I´d seen through the viewfinder and just had to savour the moment. Click.
The bird noticed that I´d become aware of it, and sailed away elegantly.
I knew it was best picture of the day.

No comments: