Sunday, April 09, 2006

Chiloé

This morning I landed on the beautiful island of Chiloé, located south of Pto. Montt, some 1000 kms south of Santiago.
I dedicated the morning to Ancud, a quiet settlement on the northern side of the island. Among the things that this place has to offer is one of the last Spanish fortifications in America, with it´s cannons aiming solemnly into the channel.
I found a very bohéme pub for lunch and was able to inhale something of what was said around me. When one of the men chose the word "huevón", which is perfectly accepted in Santiago, the lady who owned the place was notably annoyed. The rest of us didn´t think more of it, until the same man said something much worse. The lady yelled "BUENA!" meaning "Enough!", and everyone was very amused, exchanging knowing smiles.
Next, I continued to Castro. This is the largest community on the island. Hoping to find some tours for tomorrow, I went to the only tourism information available (not official). The man said I was the first to ask for a tour. The fact that tourism season is over was made very clear. However, it´s quite nice not to be surrounded by germans for once and I have a good idea for a trip to make tomorrow, so all is good. Let´s just hope I´ll have the weather on my side.

4 comments:

Chilote said...

Hola, interesante que visites este rincón del mundo, pero porque en inglés??

Saludos

Anonymous said...

Ahh porque en inglés..

Este blog igual como el mio tiene publico en Suecia, Chile y quien sabe cuantos otros paises mas. Reconozco que el mejor contacto se hace en la lengua materna.. el blog mio por ejemplo podria muy bien estar en Sueco, pero entonces que van a hacer mis primos en Italia?

Puedes ver los ezfuerzos de mi hermano en mantener un blog multi-lingual en los primeros posts de este blog, pero al final simplemente es demaciado trabajo :)

Anonymous said...

You don´t seem to remember, dear son, that we visited Ancud and that fort when you children were still small. Inspired by the significance of the place I began an explanation of what happened there in the last days of Spanish rule, but noticed soon that I was talking only to the gulls ... you were chasing a ball together with some locals. Much more fun.

Dad

Unknown said...

Papi, I knew about the anecdote - now I know where it took place!
I have very few memories from our visit, I think we went to the National Park?