Sunday, August 14, 2005

Some pictures from today

This Saturday has been just wonderful.

Short outline of the day:
Got up at 9 o'clock, (hey, my body-clock was only 8!) wandered about a bit until I found the breakfast place two blocks away. Then I strolled to Av. 9 de Julio, which must be one of the worlds broadest avenues, with maybe 7-8 lanes in both directions. Went to see some important buildings, and I also found a nice pedestrian street with a lot of commerce. I entered a mall with a cupol with painted celestial motifs. I wonder if Jesus would have approved. Check if you can see my reflection in the photo. Next I encountered the government building, Casa Rosada. It's pink.
Time for lunch, and thanks to recommendations from my colleague Eduardo I knew where to go. Pizzeria Los Inmortale. Wonderful food, but I realized a siesta was inevitable. To rest my feet I used the metro, or "Subte" as they call it, which is the oldest in South America. The first line was opened in 1913. The trains on this line are very old, with completely wooden furniture and panelling, light bulb illumination and manually opened doors. Some photos are available on this page.
Darkness prevailed when I set out again, and I didn't really have a clear idea of what I was going to do. This is how I like to get to know a place, by walking around and acting on impulse.
So it happened my eyes landed on Teatro Avenida, where "Lo mejor de la Zarzuela" ("The best of the Zarzuela", a zarzuela being a sort of Spanish musical). Buenos ires offers a great selection of musical shows and has several large theaters. So for more than two hours everything on stage was Spanish - the dances, the singing, the costumes and the pronounciation. Very nice indeed.

That's all I'm going to tell you for now!

Oh, and I bought tickets for Les Luthiers, for tomorrow night. Life is good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hej Gabriel,
I can see you are having a good time! Very interesting photos. If you have time you might go to the old artist quarters and look at the brightly painted houses in Caminito.
Puss och kram från mamma!