Friday, January 13, 2006

"Let´s make five jobs out of one"

Let me tell you about how I bought internal memory for my notebook the other day.
I entered the store through the only door that was open, and asked if they sold memory. The girl said I had to enter through another door, since I had entered Technical Support. I thanked her and chose the indicated door.
"Hello, I´d like to buy some memory." I said to a girl sitting by her desk.
"Please proceed to our sales executives" she replied, referring to three young ladies sitting nearby. I obeyed.
Finally, I was able to be attended. When the sales person had received my request, she said "Now, to pay you need to proceed to the end of the room". I did as I was told and sat down with a second woman, who received my payment. "Now, take this receipt to the next room, and they will give you your product." Without further ado, I continued my quest through the premises. In the next room, I presented the receipt and they handed me my goods. I took the opportunity to ask the guy how to install it. "You´d have to take that question to Technical Support."
So, as a nutrient travelling through the food chain, I found myself back where I started.
To make a simple over-the-counter transaction, I had to talk to five people, and one of them twice. Chile may be a wonderful country in many ways, but efficient it ain´t.

2 comments:

Svunnig said...

Hahah, a company perfectly structured for deficiency. I bet the wages where 1/5 of a normal job too, which would be a good indication that the country has come down with tidbits of republican eco-political agendas.
A terrible disease for people to experience.

Anonymous said...

Haha very nice indeed!
I will never forget how we needed the attentions of three different people in the same store when we were in La Serena. And that was not notebook RAM, but empanadas...