Saturday, January 28, 2006

DVD rental

Last night I finally did it. After months of preparation, I felt ready.
I was going to do it. Rent some DVDs. I hadn´t rented a movie for a long time, in at least 1 ½ years, so the whole situation felt novel. To my great delight, all the latest titles were in. Apparently, there is no buffer time before the video and dvd versions become available, as in Sweden. My mind was set on Hero, the chinese film from 2005, and unfortunately it was rented out. The sensation was very familiar. It´s like when you go the cinema and your film is sold out. What do you do, savor the defeat and go home or choose another spectacle? I think most would choose the latter. So, like a grazing cow I moved from section to section, constantly distracting myself with the trailers running on the tv screens. I settled with Spider-Man 2 and, remembering my father´s recommendation, Big Fish.
As I was dictating my phone number to the cashier, my eyes fell on the sweets conveniently placed just in front of the desk. They had Ahlgrens bilar. I looked again. It was actually the typical Swedish candy in it´s original packaging. Wasn´t that unexpected?
As the girl handed me the discs she informed me that they were copy-protected. "We´ll just see about that" I thought to myself...

Footnote: When I got home, I noticed they were in fact copy-protected.

1 comment:

Johanna Meijer said...

I know how you feel. The joy of finding "Bilar" when you are in another country is a total, limitless feeling of happiness